Saturday, May 31, 2008

Horns and the Google search algorythms


I'm working on a monster Klipsch post, compiling links to plans of all the fully hornloaded PWK designs. This will go from the original Klipschorn all the way to the Jubilee and should provide interesting references for anyone designing their own horn cabinets. In terms of creative design and cabinetry, PWK was in a class all by himself.


I thought compiling this list was going to be pretty easy. There's lots of stuff on Klipsch out there, the plans for all of these designs have been published in print and online and there's enough buzz to keep it around. So just type in the words "Klipsch", "horn" and "plan" and they should pop up, right?


Well, they didn't pop up so easily. What you mostly get is threads on the various speakerboards, discussing plans of Klipsch horns. So, more search terms. Try out "LaScala", "Belle", "Klipschorn", "Jubilee", "DIY" and whatever else you come up with. It doesn't really help...


What happens, is that Google ranks the search results, following a weighting system. Listing the actual words is important, of course. But also how many times the word is mentioned in the text. Also, how often the page is read. Perhaps how many pages refer to that page. In the end, the original design, website or post is completely lost in the forest of forum activity about the topic, simply because the forum activity is much more and highly conspicuous.


We've been generating so much talk and so little content, that it becomes increasingly harder to find the actual, relevant information. By this post, I am actually adding to the clutter... I decided to post this anyway, because it illustrates the need for a few online places that are about focus and content. The HornloudspeakerMagazine aims to be such a place. I can't produce expert technical literature about horns, but I can point you to some excellent stuff. It might save you a week of Google nightmares... How does Brainiac put it? "We do these experiments, so you don't have to"...


So, stay tuned for that monster Klipsch post, because I have very nearly found everything I am looking for.
(Image from the Klipsch Forums)

2 comments:

John said...

Very nice publication. I found you via google, search terms "Klipsch cabinet plans". Very interesting so far, I've already read the entirety.

I'm particularly looking forward to your forthcoming "Klisch Kompendium of Kabinet Kit and Kaboodle" ( I just couldn't resist, believe me I tried ).

Hoping to be reading more soon.

John

Ivo Tichelaar said...

Well, you've been waiting a long time, but the big Klipsch post is there. I hope you enjoy it.